Mini Webquest on Heat and Calorimetry
For question 1:
- What is the difference between heat and temperature?
- Google the term specific heat. Write a definition. Cite your source.
For question 3:
- Go to the experiment and play the experiment.a) Describe what happens to the temperature of the water in comparison to the temperature of the sand.
b) The specific heat of water is 4.18 J/g°C and the specific heat of sand is 0.85J/g°C. Relate this information to the temperature change you described in part a.
For question 4
- Go to the simulator at Iowa State and run the following trials:
SET these values in the boxes to the left side of the simulator RECORD Exp. Type of Metal Mass of Metal Initial Temp of Metal Mass of Water Initial Temp of Water Final Temp of System 1 Gold 20.00 g 100.00 °C 30.00 g 20.00 °C 2 Gold 100.00 g 100.00 °C 30.00 g 20.00 °C 3 Iron 100.00 g 100.00 °C 30.00 g 20.00 °C
a. Compare the temperature change of experiment 1 to experiment 2. Explain.
b. Compare the temperature change of experiment 2 to experiment 3. Explain.
For question 5:
- Watch the video and write down what each part of the equation means:q = m c ΔT
For question 6
6.Briefly describe Calorimetry. Include a diagram.